March is Poison Prevention Month, and we want to help you keep your pet healthy. If you own a pet, you will want to know about these common household items that could prove to be fatal for your pet:
- Drugs. Have a headache? Take a Tylenol. But if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication (including aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen), you could be facing a serious pet health emergency. Other human medicines to keep away from pets include cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins, diet pills, and drugs that fight cancer.
- Repellents. Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest, but even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us at the Animal Medical Center of Wyoming which flea and tick products are best for your pets.
- Cooking spray. No one wins when dinner sticks to the pan (unless you’d rather not eat mom’s cooking anyway!). However, if you have a pet bird, beware of the fumes from non-stick cooking surfaces and self-cleaning ovens. While they’ll keep things cleaner for you, they can be deadly to your feathered friend.
Also watch for poisonous plants, toys with small parts, rawhide chews, and human foods (examples: chocolate, artificial sweeteners, chicken bones, alcohol, onions, grapes). If you have more questions about what to look out for, make sure to ask us at your next appointment.
In the meantime, if you suspect your pet has gotten into something she shouldn’t have, call our office immediately. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline 24/7 at (855) 764-7661.