Are there harmful plants and substances in or around your house that you didn’t realize were poisonous to your pets?
Here at Animal Medical Center of Wyoming, we are going to highlight a few of the most common Springtime poisons that pets get into! For a more complete list of dangerous substances, plants, foods, etc., visit Pet Poison Helpline or ASPCA Poison Control.
With Spring starting to show up around Gillette, we will soon be working on our gardens. But beware of fertilizers! While most are not very toxic (probably just an upset stomach), some fertilizers can be fatal without treatment. Here are a few ingredients to be aware of so you know what toxins and symptoms to watch out for.
- Blood Meal
This is dried, ground and flash-frozen blood and contains 12% nitrogen. While it’s a great organic fertilizer, if ingested, it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. More importantly, it can result in severe pancreatitis.
- Rose & Plan Fertilizers
Some fertilizers contain disulfoton or other organophosphates (OP). As little as 1 teaspoon of 1% disulfoton can kill a 55lb dog!! Organophosphates can cause severe drooling, urination, defecation, seizures, difficulty breathing, hyperthermia and more. It can also be fatal.
This is a common additive to fertilizers and can result in iron toxicity. Common symptoms of iron toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, shock, elevated heart rate, panting, and tremors.
- Pesticides & Insecticides
Some contain organophosphates which as mentioned above can be fatal. Sprays can be an irritant to your pet which can cause symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Top 10 Plants Poisonous to Pets
Our staff at Animal Medical Center wants you to make sure that your pets do not have access to these plants or the other 700+ poisonous plants inside or outside your house. This is only a partial list of poisonous plants. For a more complete list of plants poisonous to cats and dogs, visit Pet Poison Hotline.
With the warmer weather, here in Gillette, we are all starting our Spring Cleaning! Some cleaning products can cause mild symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea and skin irritation. There are a few that can cause skin burns/lesions in their mouth, face or body. Keep all cleaning products out of reach of pets and kids.
- Drain cleaner
- Concentrated dishwashing chemicals
- Lime-removal products
- Oven cleaners
- Grill cleaners
- Concentrated toilet cleaners
This Spring, we want you and your pets to be safe! If you have ANY questions if something is safe or harmful, do not hesitate to call us at Animal Medical Center of Wyoming. Also, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline or ASPCA Poison Control.